Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Greeting Card Dilemma

In an effort to provide a complete shopping experience I decided from the beginning to include greeting cards at Chiripa. I made an assumption that I could find bilingual cards. AND, I wanted something that would tie in with the "artisan crafts" that we feature.

I found cards produced in Mexico with historic Mexican images--blank inside.


cards from Queretaro, Mexico with hand painted silk panels--lovely, but blank inside;


and even some US cards with Mexican themes--also, blank inside. I began hounding sales reps for greeting card distributors at gift shows. Nothing, until last month when I received a call. Leanin' Tree had paid attention to my plea (and a few others I suspect). A new line of Spanish language cards had been in production for two years. They were proud to announce the launch. How could I not order the package complete with spinner?


The cards have nice messages in Spanish with the English translation on the back. Here's a sample:
Deseandote un dia tan bello y perfecto, que parezca haber sido hecho especialmente para ti. Feliz Cumpleanos
(Wishing you a day so perfectly beautiful, you feel as though it has been created especially for you. Happy Birthday.)


I think these cards will be a great way to support Spanish language classes and learners. I'm also hoping the Spanish-speaking community will like them.

But they still lack the "artisan craft" angle that I want. Maybe we'll have to create our own cards with images of the beautiful crafts we carry at Chiripa. We'll see. . .


In the near future I'll be off to Mexico for new adventures.
kl

No comments: