Friday, March 2, 2012

Beginning in Guanajuato

Photos and thoughts from the Feb 2012 Chiripa buying trip to Mexico.

We began this year's trip with a stop in Guanajuato. Guanajuato is the captial of the state of the same name which is in the center of the country and northwest of Mexico City. The state sponsors an exposition to encourage importers to buy from state artisans. We were graciously met at the Leon airport by Rodrigo who had to pass on another state sponsored reception for Korean auto makers. They put us up for 2 nights at Edelmira Hotel Boutique in the center of the city and just a couple blocks from the expo.


We arrived close to 10 pm and the streets were teaming with people. I snapped this photo of a spontaneous sing-along. Rodrigo said this happens often; a favorite group starts playing and the fans gather and sing along. I wanted to roam the streets but was too exhausted from long and delayed flights. (I will try to avoid Houston in the future.)


The hotel is more upscale than typical Chiripa accommodations. We especially liked the down comforters. I took this photo to illustrate something I had not seen before. At the ends of the beds were wool weavings (tapetes). We usually tell customers this size is a table runner, but, in this case it looked lovely as an accent on the bed linens. 

I was sick most of the two days we spent in Guanajuato and I have no photos of the new products we found. I'll do an update when they arrive later this spring.  -kl


No comments: