Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Huichol Blunder

Musings from the Feb 2011 Chiripa buying trip to Mexico.

We like to stop at the downtown street market when in Tlaquepaque (Jalisco, Mexico). The Huichol people (from the state of Nyarit) set up tables to sell their intricate bead work and continue beading while tolerating the casual shoppers.


I was particularly drawn to a young woman rapidly creating the subtly shaded peyote flowers of a bracelet. She continued working while I selected a collection of earrings, bracelets, barrettes and beaded ornaments (that I'll save for holiday shoppers). When I was finished I asked her if I could take her picture. She agreed and her young son eagerly joined for this photo.


I thanked her and was about to leave when she asked for money. I was surprised, but opened my coin purse to give her a token amount for allowing me to photograph her. But, no, she didn't want money for the photo, she wanted money for the goods I thought I had purchased. Oops! I was so intrigued with capturing the beading process that I forgot to pay for the jewelry and ornaments. We all had a good laugh and I went on my way just a little embarrassed! -KL

No comments: