Sunday, March 8, 2009

Safe

Since we returned from Mexico (a Chiripa buying trip) the most frequently asked question is, "Did you feel safe?" I enthusiastically reply, "Of course!" I've heard that there are State Department warnings about the dangers in Mexico and I don't doubt that there are some places with major problems. However, we never felt unsafe, not even uncomfortable.

We travel in places less frequented by tourists. Generally we travel inland by bus, avoiding the beach resort areas. As I wander through city centers at night I often see families and older people. The streets are not deserted, they are alive with the activity of communities that thrive on social interactions in social gathering places like the zocalo.


These central park areas provide a glimpse of the people of a community. I love to sit and watch the activities. (There was precious little time for sitting and watching on this trip!) Besides the walkers and sitters you'll see vendors with balloons and toys,


with food,

with a shine for your shoes,

with artwork, with music, and with small crafts. The sounds and smells mix well with the perfectly balmy weather.

One night in San Miguel de Allende, Guanajato we were crossing the zocalo to find a restaurant when I was "egged" twice. I had watched this strange custom in the past, but wasn't prepared to be the recipient of the cracked shell, flour, and confetti that rained down my hair. A couple young boys (who were taller than me), cracked the colorfully died, hollowed, and filled eggs on my head. It was a surprise, but all in good fun. I shook it off and wondered about the significance of the act. In questioning some Mexican friends I didn't get a full reply. Just that it's something that young people do. (If you know the origins please post a reply.)

Well, we're back. We're still tired. And we're filled with wonder at the imensely diverse country of Mexico who's traditional crafts have become our calling. In the next few months I'll post photos and information about the places we visited and the artists we met. -- Kathryn

No comments: