Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Milagros

Yes, still unpacking. . . I thought I'd share a fun batch that we got out on the floor today.


We've sold milagros (little miracles) since we opened and also a few wooden items adorned with milagros. We always sold out almost as fast as we could get them on the shelf. On this trip we brought home (actually, had sent to the shop) a larger quantity of items. You can find frames, crosses, hearts, and boxes, as well as individual milagros, tin milagro ornaments, and a small number of sterling milagros. I've even put one cross up on the website.

For those unfamiliar with milagros, they are small metal charms that depict something in a life: a hand, an arm, a cow, a house, a heart, a person praying. etc. A person gives this token to a saint and asks for intervention. I keep a car in my wallet as a good luck token when I drive. Others use the charms in craft projects. Some knit them into a scarf or a hat. And then others cover items with the charms just like in the items pictured.

We also carry a book about milagros. Stop in the shop to see our wide selection of milagro art from Michoacan, Mexico.

No comments: